Thursday, August 25, 2011

Linda Urbach's "Madame Bovary's Daughter"

Linda Urbach is a published author and screenwriter. Her third novel, Madame Bovary’s Daughter, addresses the question: Whatever happened to the only daughter of the scandalous Madame Bovary, literature’s greatest adulteress and worst mother?

Here she develops some ideas for the cast and director of an adaptation of Madame Bovary’s Daughter:
Before the first scene is even shot, I have to pay a visit to my bank to deposit the enormous check I’ve received for the movie rights to Madame Bovary’s Daughter. Then I have to make an appointment with my accountant to find out how I can avoid paying taxes on such a huge sum. (Unfortunately, there turns out to be no legal way.)

Then I hold auditions for the much sought after part of Berthe Bovary. If you think it’s easy choosing between Natalie Portman, Charlize Theron and Nicole Kidman you’re crazy. As it turns out, I don’t have to choose, I cast all three actresses in different roles. Nicole Kidman plays Madame Bovary, Charlize Theron plays Helene and Natalie Portman plays the lead. Now for the director. I want Sofia Coppola. I have to get my agent to call her agent but they had a huge row some years ago and refuse to talk to each other.

My agent suggests alternatives. What about Miranda July? Her new movie has gotten great reviews. No, I want Sofia. She understands the history of French fashion better than any other director any Hollywood. So I will just call her directly. First I have to get her number. Does anyone have Sofia Coppola’s cell phone number?
Learn more about the book and author at Linda Urbach's website and blog.

Writers Read: Linda Urbach.

The Page 69 Test: Madame Bovary's Daughter.

--Marshal Zeringue