Saturday, April 25, 2015

Jan-Philipp Sendker's "Whispering Shadows"

Jan-Philipp Sendker, born in Hamburg in 1960, was the American correspondent for Stern from 1990 to 1995, and its Asian correspondent from 1995 to 1999. In 2000 he published Cracks in the Wall, a nonfiction book about China. The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, his first novel, was an international bestseller. He lives in Berlin with his family.

Here Sendker dreamcasts the lead in an adaptation of his new novel, Whispering Shadows:
Many readers around the world have asked me if I was Paul Leibovitz, the main character in Whispering Shadows.

Of course I am not but there are some similarities and he would be the role (and it happened to be the lead role) I would play.

He is in his early fifties (like me), he used to be a journalist (like me), lives in Hong Kong (like I used to) and is fascinated by China (like me).

He does not have much of sense of belonging, born in Germany, growing up in New York, having lived in Asia for 30 years.

He had lost his child to leukemia and lives as a recluse on a small island in Hong Kong, trying to find a way back into life after such devastating loss.

He is a man full of grief, passion and longing and deeply hurt. At the same time he is a very gentle soul, always ready to help. A very interesting character, full of contradictions and emotions.

I see the Oscar coming…
Visit Jan-Philipp Sendker's website.

The Page 69 Test: Whispering Shadows.

--Marshal Zeringue